Need A Photographer?

I specialize in concert photography, but I am open to almost any photography job. If you want to try something new and different, for a special occasion or just for fun, contact me at dorfunkle@gmail.com and we can schedule a session!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Yonder Mountain String Band - 02/19, 20, & 21/10 - St.Louis, MO (x2) and Tulsa, OK

Oh, Cabin Fever Tour, I love you so!  I don't know if there's any way to have more fun than seeing Yonder with all of our kinfolk friends.  We left a day early because of the threat of bad weather coming through Missouri.


When we got to the Moonrise in St.Louis on Thursday night, the woman working at the front desk gave us free tickets to Galactic with Karl Denson's Tiny Universe that night at the Pageant.  We went up to our room and dropped off our things, but by the time we got to the show, Karl D. was on his last song.  We hung around for a bit of Galactic, but it was so loud and not quite our kind of band, so we took off for some food.



02/19 - The Pageant

Friday was a great day.  We had breakfast at Blueberry Hill and wandered around on Delmar for a bit.  I found a great vintage shop called Avalon where I bought a gold sequined dress!  It was pretty hard waiting around for show time, but at about 5pm, we headed down to meet our friends in line.



































































This was such a great show!!!  Right from the beginning the energy was electric.  The band was on fire and the audience was ecstatic.  I loved looking to my right and seeing all my Kinfolk dancing, singing along, and having such a good time.  During Oklahoma, we all lost our drinks because Brandon shook the rail as hard as he could.  But, who could blame him?  The whole night was full of fun and the audience gave it their all.  We also got a special treat and Tony Furtado was in town and came up and picked a couple songs with the boys.

My highlights from this show were Ain't No Way of Knowing, Darling One, Going Where They Do Not Know My Name, Mossy Cow, Hold What You Got, Brown Mountain Light, On the Run> High Cross Junction> On the Run, Sideshow Blues, Damned if the Right One Didn't Go Wrong, Honestly, Little Rabbit> If You're Ever in Oklahoma, Lord Only Knows> Midwest Gospel Radio> Peace of Mind> Cuckoo's Nest> Peace of Mind.  Just about the whole damn show.  
This is easily one of my top 5 Yonder shows of all time.

02/19/10 - The Pageant - St.Louis, MO
Set I: If There's Still Ramblin' in the Rambler (let him go)> Too Late Now, Ain't No Way of Knowing, Mental Breakdown, Darling One, Going Where They Do Not Know My Name, Winds of Wyoming, Mossy Cow, Hold What You Got, Brown Mountain Light, Pockets, On the Run> High Cross Junction> On the Run> If There's Still Ramblin' in the Rambler (let him go)
Set II: Sideshow Blues, Damned if the Right One Didn't Go Wrong, Rain Still Falls, Nothin' But Nothin', Honestly, Crazy, Little Rabbit> If You're Ever in Oklahoma, Catch a Criminal, Red Bird, Lord Only Knows (Part One)> Midwest Gospel Radio> Peace of Mind> Cuckoo's Nest> Peace of Mind
Encore: Mississippi Half Step

You can download the show here!


02/20 - The Pageant

Saturday was a beautiful day in St.Louis.  We met up with Annie, Michael, Anitra, and Josh for breakfast at Blueberry Hill (again), but the service and food weren't as good as the day before.  But, it was eggs... and I love eggs.  We also hit up the vintage shop again, and I got ANOTHER sequined dress.  If this shop was in Des Moines, I would be broke.  
























Smoking area outside the hotel.  These chairs are plastic!

After lunch we hung out in our room and took a little nap in the spectacularly comfortable beds.  Then we decided to just go wandering and we ran into our friend Junkyard and Yonder's new merch man, Scott.  Then we ran into our other friends again, eating at Pi.


















This was my 50th Yonder show, so I had to go in style.  I had made some sequined suspenders for the occasion, but since I found the sequined dress, I wore the suspenders the night before.  













Junkyard raged the rail with us ALL NIGHT!











For this entire tour, the Yonder boys had been growing their facial hair.  The 2nd night in St.Louis, Dave shaved and Jeff just had a mustache.  Then they presented us with their own version of the evolution of man:



The businessman, police officer, Boulder yuppie, and either the ape-man or anyone from Nederland, Colorado:




































The Philly hat douchebag got kicked out of the show for acting like, well, a douchebag.  There was a huge roar from the crowd and during set break Kevin Gregory was wearing the hat.  

































This was another fantastic show!  The boys are pulling out a lot of goodies and songs that we don't hear very often.  The energy was just explosive in the Pageant both nights.  We got a new Sherif Saga song, which was a real treat, and we also got 2 fan favorite sandwiches - Ruby> Riverside> Ruby, and Troubled Mind> 20 Eyes> Troubled Mind.  Wowza.  

My highlights from this show were Years With Rose, Funtime, Sangaree, Had To Leave My Boots Behind, This Lonesome Heart, Big Spike Hammer, Going Up, Illinois Rain, Ruby> Follow Me Down to the Riverside> Ruby, Jail Song, Takes a Lot to Laugh a Train to Cry, Troubled Mind> 20 Eyes> Troubled Mind, Snow on the Pines> King Ebenezer> Snow on the Pines

02/20/10 - The Pageant - St.Louis, MO
Set I: Years With Rose> East Nashville Easter, Funtime, Sangaree, Had To Leave My Boots Behind, Belle Parker, Wildwood Drive, Blue Collar Blues, This Lonesome Heart, Dreams, Big Spike Hammer, Going Up, Finally Saw the Light> Steam Powered Aereoplane> Illinois Rain
Set II:Ruby> Follow Me Down to the Riverside> Ruby, Jail Song, Takes A Lot to Laugh a Train to Cry, Troubled Mind> 20 Eyes> Troubled Mind, Out of the Blue, Counter Reaction, Snow on the Pines> King Ebenezer> Snow on the Pines> Boatman
Encore: Casualty> Holding, 2 Hits and the Joint Turned Brown

You can download the show here!


02/21 - Cain's Ballroom

On Sunday we had to drive to Tulsa for the final show, the tour closer.  It was a shame to leave St.Louis, the gorgeous Moonrise Hotel, and some of our Kinfolk friends, but we were excited for this final show.  It was about a 6 hour drive, and most of it was through rain.  Me, Colin, Michael, Annie, Anitra, and Josh all stopped for some Cracker Barrel on the way, and it was nice to have a yummy filling meal instead of the bbq pork sandwich I had 3 nights in a row in St.Louis.





We got checked in to our hotel and headed right for Cain's... we were there about 2 hours before doors... a little early.  It was pretty damn cold in Tulsa and we got hit with a little bit of cold rain.  Some folks were pretty frozen by the time the doors opened.  This was me and Colin's first time to Cain's Ballroom, and we loved it.  The sound was great and the stage wasn't too high (my neck hurt a little from the Pageant).  I think what I loved the most about this show was standing with my girls, Anitra, Annie, and Carrie.  We had so much fun dancing and singing together.











































































































































































My highlights from this show were Shady Grove, Irondale, Hill Country Girl, Not Far Away, Just the Same, Sharecropper's Son, If I Lose, Traffic Jam> Elzic's Farewell> Traffic Jam, Looking Back Over My Shoulder> Free to Run, Near Me, Steep Grade Sharp Curves, Wind's On Fire, Suspicious Minds, Good Hearted Woman, Keep on Going> Jesus on the Mainline> Keep on Going, Bolton Stretch

02/21/10 Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa, OK
Set I: Shady Grove, River, Irondale, Hill Country Girl, Rag Doll, Another Day, Not Far Away, Just the Same, Sharecropper's Son, If I Lose, I Had Someone Else Before I Had You, 8 Cylinders, Traffic Jam> Elzic's Farewell> Traffic Jam
Set II: Looking Back Over My Shoulder> Free To Run, Near Me, Steep Grade Sharp Curves, Shenandoah Valley Breakdown, New Deal Train, I Am the Slime, Complicated, Wind's on Fire, Suspicious Minds, Good Hearted Woman, Keep on Going> Jesus on the Mainline> Keep on Going
Encore: They Love Eachother, Bolton Stretch

You can download the show here!


I just want to thank all of our Kinfolk friends: Anitra, Josh, Annie, Michael, Stray, Amanda, Jason, Carrie, Daniel, Brandon, Steve, Peter, Garrett, Cathy, Junkyard, Bill, Liz, Carin, Ian... you guys all rule and make these shows such an incredible experience.  I can't wait to keep on keepin on with all of you.

Best quotes from the weekend:
"Want a ricola?  They make you sound like Michael McDonald." - Brandon, night 2
"What the hell is Urkel doing in the army?" - Colin, watching bad TV in the hotel
"I'm so proud of you, you only mentioned diarrhea once during lunch." - Colin to me after our Cracker Barrel lunch with our friends



0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online