Need A Photographer?

I specialize in concert photography, but I am open to almost any photography job. If you want to try something new and different, for a special occasion or just for fun, contact me at dorfunkle@gmail.com and we can schedule a session!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Yonder Mountain String Band w/Darol Anger and Danny Barnes - 10/24/09 - House of Blues - Chicago, IL **Kinfolk Celebration**

The 2nd night at the HOB was even better than the first.  We didn't bring our camera, because we were told they would not be allowed.  Later we found out that they had made an exception for non-professional cameras.  Oh well.  I took enough pictures the night before.  One thing I love about the House of Blues is that if you spend $15 a person on food or in the gift shop, you can get in a different line that goes into the venue 1st.  This worked out great, since we are humans and need to eat approximately 3 times a day.  We met up with Tim, Lori, Alison, Dale, and Tim's niece and her roommate and had a pretty decent meal before the show.  I had a steak and green beans which were so extremely delicious, I'm still thinking about it now...but I think the green beans were soaked in butter, which gave me a bad headache the whole next day.  Oh well.
The regular entry line was outside in the cold, while we got to line up inside the building.  We were patted down and wanded, just to make sure we didn't have guns or anything;)  When we got into the venue, we got our spots against the rail, and this time Colin and I got a spot on Dave's side, which tends to be a little less wild.  We made a couple new friends in this spot and got to know a couple other people a little better.
Overall, the crowd was much less pushy in our spot than the night before, and the setlist was amazing.  Danny Barnes played a great show, which included Good as I've Been to You, Get it While You Can, and Foggy Mountain Breakdown.  Jeff played Get it While You Can with Danny and apparently told Danny that he was "way faded".  "Anyone know what being way faded means?"  Danny asked.  Then after the song, "He plays pretty good for being way faded!"  "Jeff's in a new band called the Heady Nugs."  Funny stuff.  Then Yonder came out and played even harder than the night before.  This weekend would certainly prove that Dave rules and he should get an MVP trophy for these shows.  Also, any show that opens with Ten is going to be a hit.
My highlights were Ten, Deep Pockets, Honestly, Loved You Enough, Free To Run, Polly Put the Kettle On, Clinch Mountain Backstep, Cuckoo's Nest>Years w/Rose>Traffic Jam>Whipping Post>Traffic Jam...my highlights were just about the entire show!  It was also really neat to hear a bunch of the new songs live, in particular, Isolate.  I didn't know what I thought about that song until I heard it live, and now I'm definitely liking it.  This whole show was so good that Colin and I were speechless on our walk to the train station after the show, we just keep giggling.



Overall, our trip to Chicago was much better than we had expected.  I'm not a huge fan of big cities or traffic, but our hotel and the House of Blues were both right off the Blue Line train.  We stayed at the Renaissance Inn O'Hare, which was a gorgeous hotel.  I think we will always stay at this hotel when in Chicago, so that we don't have to deal with traveling difficulties.


Danny Barnes opened
Darol Anger on fiddle for entire show
Kinfolk Celebration 2009
Set I: Ten, Blue Collar Blues, Deep Pockets, Fine Excuses, Honestly, Loved You Enough, In the Seam, Dreams, Free To Run, Isolate, Polly Put the Kettle on, No Expectations
Set II: Looking Back Over my Shoulder, Half Moon Rising, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Clinch Mountain Backstep*, Come Together*, Death Trip*, Cuckoo's Nest, Years With Rose, Traffic Jam> Whipping Post> Traffic Jam
Encore: Crazy, Good Hearted Woman

*w/Danny Barnes

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online