Need A Photographer?

I specialize in concert photography, but I am open to almost any photography job. If you want to try something new and different, for a special occasion or just for fun, contact me at dorfunkle@gmail.com and we can schedule a session!

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Yonder Mountain String Band w/Danny Barnes - 10/31/09 - Liberty Hall - Lawrence, KS





Day last.  Oh how I love fall tour, and oh how I am sad to see it end.  This fall tour we were able to do 7 shows, bringing my grand total to 47.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that I've seen a single band this many times, but each show is different, and I can remember each one.


This was our first Halloween show, and we were ready.  Since we were in Kansas, I thought it would be fitting to be Dorothy - but with my own personal touches.  Emily dressed as Wonder Woman, and Colin was Sheriff Ben Hines - he shaved and everything!



The line was entertaining that night since we were all dressed in costume and it was also beggars night.  I had filled my purse with candy, thinking I would give it to people at the show, but I ended up giving most of it to kids on the street, which was far better, anyway.  I saw another Dorothy, and I even saw a little boy dressed as a sock monkey - oh how Mr.Nelson loved that!
We had been informed that the show would be video taped for a future DVD release, and while we were in line some folks were interviewed about their thoughts on the band.  Luckily, we managed to avoid these cameras, or at least talking directly into them.
Once we got our spots inside it was a lot of fun to look around at all the different costumes.  The Geiko money was there, which was one of my favorites, along with our friend who was "in the woods with the munchies".  There are definitely a lot of creative folks out there.



One of my favorite parts of the night was during Danny's set when he was introducing a song called "Sparta", after Sparta, TN.  "Has anyone here ever been to Sparta?" Danny asks.  "SPARTA!" We hear from behind us.  Danny starts laughing and I turn around and it's a guy dressed up like the guys in the movie 300.  That was hilarious.
As I had expected the song choices for this night were mostly safe "popular" songs, which are always good to hear, but it was obvious they wanted to make the DVD full of songs for the fans that don't see them over and over and over again.  It was hard to get into the show for a while, since there were cameras everywhere and I didn't want to look like a fool.  But, a few good songs later, I had all but forgotten they were there.

The highlights for me were Riverside, Night Out, Boris the Spider, Shit Creek, Cuckoo's Nest, Skulls, and Ten.

Danny Barnes opened
Set I: Follow Me Down to the Riverside>Boatman, Rain Still Falls, Complicated, Fingerprint, Traffic Jam, Night Out, Fine Excuses, Angel>If There's Still Ramblin' in the Rambler (let him go)>Boris the Spider>Ramblin reprise
Set II: Out of the Blue, Shit Creek*, Cuckoo's Nest*, Death Trip*, Rambler's Anthem, Skulls, I'd Like Off> Catch a Criminal, Natchez Whistle>Ten>King Ebenezer>Ten, Casualty
Encore: They Love Each Other, Crazy Train

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online