Need A Photographer?

I specialize in concert photography, but I am open to almost any photography job. If you want to try something new and different, for a special occasion or just for fun, contact me at dorfunkle@gmail.com and we can schedule a session!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Yonder Mountain String Band - 04/01/10 - The Catalyst - Santa Cruz, CA

My Birthday!!!  Yeah!  We left the Bilty around 9a.m. and headed back to Alison's to get our stuff ready to head to Santa Cruz.  Colin, Lori, and I walked down the street and had some delicious breakfast while Alison got ready.  The breakfast was so good, but the poor woman working had to deal with her boss's annoying little kids climbing over the counter and cash registers.  She messed up my order, so I ended up having multiple breakfasts.  This mistake led to one of the funniest phrases of the weekend: "Hurry up, you old bitch!"  Obviously, we didn't mean anything by it... and obviously, we didn't say it to her.  But we've been calling everyone old bitches ever since.
We managed to pack all of our stuff into Alison's car, and the five of us headed out to Santa Cruz around 1:30p.m.  It was a tight fit in the car, but the joking never stopped.  I have a "best of YMSB" playlist on my iPod, so we raged it in the car for almost five hours.  We did a lot of car dancing and singing... and talking about song lyrics we've gotten wrong.  The best one, and the one that has caused a LOT of laughing ever since, was Dale's.  Instead of "I've spent too many days in this old rocking chair" in Years With Rose, she used to sing, "I've spent too many days in this old rocket ship".  This led to us picturing Jeff spending days in an old rocket ship in his back yard.  Maybe it was our overall lack of good sleep, but we found this incredibly funny... and we still do.





We arrived at Jen's house in Santa Cruz with just enough time to eat some food and get dressed for the show.  Even though I had not met Jen until this day, she was so awesome and made us all brownies for my birthday.  What sucked was that I couldn't eat any since I've given up chocolate.  Oh well.  Everyone else enjoyed them a lot!  The six of us packed into a cab and I think we made the cabbie's night.



When we got inside the venue, we checked out the balcony first since the stage is a little higher than usual, but we ended up going back down to the rail - Dave side, once again.



They started off with a bang, but almost immediately I smelled something absolutely horrible.  It was the three guys to the left of us, and they were smoking a blunt - of the nastiest dirt weed I've ever smelled.  What the hell?  We were in California for God's sake!  Where does anyone in California even get dirt weed?  It didn't stop, either.  They smoked three blunts in the first set and two in the second!  We had to ask them to blow it the other way because they were blowing it directly at us and it was making me sick.
Other than the blunt dudes, it was a fun crowd.  We had plenty of room to dance, and lots of fun people to dance with.  And we all got extra sweaty, especially during the juicy Snow> Girlfriend> Dew> Snow yummy sandwich.  Yum yum yum!










































My highlights were If Loving You is Killing Me, This Train is Bound for Glory, Rag Mama, Wildewood Drive, Steam Powered Aereoplane, Little Rabbit> Romance Blues, Rain Still Falls, Damned if the Right One Didn't Go Wrong, Pow Wow the Indian Boy, Snow on the Pines> Girlfriend is Better> Morning Dew> Snow on the Pines, and Down the River Road

04/01/2010 - The Catalyst - Santa Cruz, CA
Set 1: If Loving You is Killing Me, This Train is Bound for Glory, Rag Mama, Wildewood Drive, New Horizons> Steam Powered Aereoplane> New Horizons, Father's Arms, Little Rabbit> Romance Blues, Traffic Jam> I Am the Slime> Traffic Jam
Set 2: No Expectations, Red Bird, Ramblin Boy, Don't You Lean on Me, Southbound, Casualty, Rain Still Falls, Damned if the Right One, Pow Wow the Indian Boy, I'd Like Off> Snow on the Pines> Girlfriend is Better> Morning Dew> Snow on the Pines
Encore: Down the River Road, Two Hits and the Joint Turned Brown

You can buy the show here!

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online