Need A Photographer?

I specialize in concert photography, but I am open to almost any photography job. If you want to try something new and different, for a special occasion or just for fun, contact me at dorfunkle@gmail.com and we can schedule a session!

Friday, April 2, 2010

Yonder Mountain String Band - 04/02/10 - Fillmore Auditorium - San Francisco, CA

Ah, San Francisco.  Our last stop.  We spent a little while in Santa Cruz before we left.  We had all packed into Jen's awesome little house (converted from a garage?), and it was like a slumber party.  I'm glad no one wrote on anyone's face or froze anyone's bra.  It was a nice little "cuddle puddle".






We had a nice breakfast, then went down to the beach and took some fun photographs.  I warn people that I take a lot of pictures, and I think they sometimes wonder if it's really necessary (especially jumping photos), but the results speak for themselves.































On the drive to San Francisco, Dale had another awesome lyrical flub.  We were listening to Yonder do Skulls by the Misfits, and instead of "skulls", she thought Adam was singing "scones".  Ha!  That was hilarious!




We got to San Francisco fairly early and checked in to the Tomo Best Western hotel.  What an awesome place!  This might be my second favorite behind the Moonrise in St.Louis.










I had a pretty bad headache all day, so I tried to take a little nap before the show, but that didn't work.  We went to a Japanese restaurant with Dale, Alison, Lori, Jen M., and Stephanie and I was a little worried about what I would be able to eat.  I ordered noodles in broth with eggs, which I thought would be simple and yummy, but it tasted like feet.  Colin ordered something that turned out to be like beef pot roast on top of ramen, so he was nice and traded me.  It's hard being so picky sometimes.  Ok, maybe all the time.




We walked down to the Fillmore and found a pretty long line.  Bummer.  We were freaking out just a little until someone told me that we were in the will call/ticket purchasing line and that if we had tickets we were to line up against the wall.  Well, there was no one against the wall.  We finally found a really nice security guard who confirmed the second line.  So, we were first in line.  Awesome.  Also, by this point my headache was magically gone.  I think my body knew that I just couldn't have a headache during the show.
When we got inside it was a little bit of a scramble for the rail and we all had our signals crossed because Colin and I went Adam side while everyone else went Dave side.  Nevertheless, we were still around a bunch of friends since we had so many good folks there.  As we were hanging around waiting for the show to start, we started chatting with a couple of blind guys and it was their first Yonder show.  David was the big fan and had brought his friend with him.  It was also his birthday!  We bonded over having April birthdays and the awesomeness of birthday shows, and we were able to make room for him next to me on the rail.
The boys came out at about 9:15 and just started out with a bang.  This was a phenomenal show.  We got some repeats from Crystal Bay, but they were all songs that I wouldn't mind hearing every night.  And we probably got the juiciest sandwich ever created with POM> Angelside> POM.  Yummy Yum Yummers.  The band's energy was fantastic and the crowd gave high energy right back.  I had heard that the crowd would be brutal at the Fillmore and that we'd have a hard time keeping our rail spot, but it was exactly the opposite.  We had so much room to boogie, and we had so many good boogiers with us.  Mark, if you're reading this - I'm talking about you.  Nice moves, brother.  Another treat was that Scott got to take the night off from running the merch booth and came down during the second set and got his boogie on with us as well.  That was fantastic.  My new friend David had such a great time, too, just bouncing and really enjoying the music.  Jeff and Adam kept looking over at him and smiling,and at the end of the show Jeff came to the edge of the stage and threw him a pick.  Very nice.


















































































My highlights from this show were Illinois Rain, Mossy Cow, Spanish Harlem Incident (FINALLY!  I wish you were with us for this, Annie, Anitra, and Amanda), Winds of Wyoming ("from Cheyenne clear to yellow snow" - another lyric misunderstanding), And Your Bird Can Sing, New Deal Train, Fastball> Dawn's Early Light> Mother's Only Son, Just the Same, Big Spike Hammer, Life's Too Short, Steep Grade Sharp Curves, Granny Woncha Smoke Some, Catch a Criminal, Piece of Mind> Angel> Follow Me Down to the Riverside> Angel> Piece of Mind, and Troubled Mind

04/02/2010 - Fillmore Auditorium - San Francisco, CA
Set 1: Illinois Rain, Fingerprint, Town, Mossy Cow, Rag Doll, Counter Reaction, Spanish Harlem Incident, Winds of Wyoming, And Your Bird Can Sing, New Deal Train, Fastball> Dawn's Early Light> Mother's Only Son
Set 2: Death Trip, Just the Same, Big Spike Hammer, Life's Too Short, Kentucky Mandolin> Steep Grade Sharp Curves, How Bout You?, Granny Woncha Smoke Some, Catch A Criminal, Peace of Mind> Angel> Follow Me Down to the Riverside> Angel> Peace of Mind
Encore: Tear Down the Grand Ol Opry, Troubled Mind


You can buy the show here!

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online